Monday, January 9

Interpreting Donnie Darko

I know it's been way too long since I've posted anything. So let's jump into something really confusing... but really interesting! I just watched Donnie Darko, Director's Cut. I'd seen the first/theater version a year or so again & had forgotten a lot. I enjoyed the new version, it seemed to make a lot more sense during the course of the movie - the explanations provided by the time travel book were very helpful. Of course I was still confused at the end - how to interpret it?? So what do I do? Go to the internet, of course! Wikipedia has a good plot summary. I also found a "Cellar Door" reference site (which includes a walk-through for the confusing flash Official Site) as well as this really cool article examining the spiritual meaning/conclusion of the film. As a Christian I enjoyed her interpretation; though the film itself is not overtly religious, it definitely hinges on some basic life/God questions. (One anomaly I found, though - they attend a private Catholic school, not a public school, so why can't the teacher converse with a student about God?)

Things that are fun to think about in the wee hours of the morning. When I was in college, one could do so in the dorm lounge. Now the closest thing is the internet. So come, read, think, discuss! :)

1 comment:

Dustin said...

been gone awhile...don't do that again my friend :)